Policies

In-Class Policies

1. On-time Attendance is expected, most of the time.
  2. Respectful Participation
  3. Bring Readings to Class
  4. In-Class Technology is OK, unless it becomes a distraction to myself or other students.Then I will revoke this privilege, on an individual or class-wide basis.
  5. Eating in class is OK, unless it becomes a distraction to myself or other students. Then I will revoke this privilege, on an individual or class-wide basis.

Incompletes:

Except in extraordinary circumstances for which proper documentation and communication has been given, incompletes will not be granted for this course. Discussions and documentation must be given prior to the end of the semester and the submission of grades.

Grade Change Policy:

Students disputing a marks for the class should schedule a meeting with Professor Hackett during her office hours or a time agreed upon by both parties. It is not sufficient to have these discussions before or after class. Students should come to the meeting prepared to make their case as to why a mark should be adjusted. Adjustments will be decided on a case-by-case basis, and there is no guarantee that a mark will or will not be adjusted until after an initial conversation is had. Students may be asked to complete additional work to satisfy the need for a grade adjustment.   

Email Policy and Etiquette:

Here are some tips on email etiquette. In short, from any email you send, I should be able to tell who you are, why you are reaching out, and what I need to do to resolve the reason you are reaching out. Please be sure to email me   Review these as needed.

• http://web.wellesley.edu/SocialComputing/Netiquette/netiquetteprofessor.html 
  • https://www.scribendi.com/advice/how_to_email_a_professor.en.html

Academic Dishonesty and Plagarism:

Queens College takes cheating and plagiarism very seriously; if caught you may fail the course and/or be suspended from the college. Don’t copy other people’s work. This means that you should not take the words or ideas of another person and submit them without acknowledging the original author. Examples of plagiarism include copying from another student’s homework assignment or taking phrases, paragraphs or papers from course readings, the internet or other students and representing them as your own. You must always indicate when you have used an idea from someone else’s work; anything else constitutes stealing from others and violates both the ethics of this class and established academic standards. There are now sophisticated search engines that prove beyond a reasonable doubt when students have downloaded web-based material and submitted it as their own (CUNY Policy on Academic Integrity, adapted June 28, 2004). See http://web.cuny.edu/academics/info-central/policies/academic-integrity.pdf)

You should know that using cell phones or other devices during exams, or writing down exam questions, is considered a serious violation of the above policy! Such behavior will result in failure of the exam and immediate referral to Queens College’s Academic Integrity Officer.